Frequently Asked Questions
Dear writers! Our offices are closed for the winter holiday from Friday, December 19 through Friday, January 2. We won’t be answering emails during this time, but we’ll do our best to answer your questions as quickly as possible upon our return!
Please check for an FAQ answer before contacting us! Because of the volume of email we receive, we won’t be able to respond to questions answered directly in the FAQ.
- Why 50,000 words? And how do you define “novel”?
- How and when can I sign up? When do I start writing?
- How do I win NaNoWriMo? What are the prizes? Is there an entry fee?
- Can I participate if I’m not American? Can I write a novel in any language?
- Is there a minimum age to participate?
- How can I be sure my novel is protected?
- What do I do with my novel after the month is over?
- If I had an account last year, do I need to re-register?
- Can I change my username?
- Can I change my email address?
- How do I recover my password or username?
- How do I unsubscribe from emails?
- How do I delete my NaNoWriMo account?
- How do I post, edit, or delete a novel excerpt or synopsis?
- How do I post, edit, or delete a book cover?
- How do I upload an author photo to my profile?
- How do I add or remove a writing buddy?
- How do I get a winner or participant badge on my profile?
- What is a “Halo”?
- Where is my “Halo”?
- Where do I write my novel? Do I type it on the NaNoWriMo website?
- Do I have to start my novel from scratch on the first of the month? Can I use an outline?
- What genres can I write in?
- Can I write with a partner?
- What if I don’t finish? Or hit my word-count goal but I’m only halfway through my novel?
- How do I update my pre-2007 novels on the site?
- How do I get a winner or participant badges for past novels?
- How can I scramble my novel?
MY WORD COUNT
- How do I update my word count? How often should I update it?
- How do I edit a prior day’s word count?
- Why is there a discrepancy between my writing program’s word count and NaNoWriMo’s word counter?
- How and when do I validate my novel to win?
- How do I validate my novel if I’m writing by hand?
- How can I meet and write with Wrimos in my area?
- How do I “home” or affiliate with my local region(s)?
- Why isn’t there a region near me?
- How do I become a Municipal Liaison for my region?
- Is my donation tax-deductible?
- Do you do corporate matching gifts?
- How can I volunteer for NaNoWriMo?
- Can I partner with NaNoWriMo to promote my product or organization?
- Can I use the NaNoWriMo name and/or logo? What’s under your trademark?
Gone through all the FAQs and definitely still confused? Contact us via the “Help” link below.