In a scattered, disjointed fashion, I'm working on a novel (or is it novels?), a screenplay, a nonfiction book on creativity, and an ongoing assortment of collages (making collages is for me what knitting is to some). But most of my creative time is spent raising two budding novelists who require being chauffeurred to activities and birthday parties around town. They rarely do the laundry, but they're good at building extravagant forts with blankets in the living room.
I try to always have a story submission in the works because getting published is akin to playing the lotto. The odds are against you, but you've got to be in the game to win. If you asked me to count my rejections, I'd need a calculator, but sometimes I beat the odds.
I like publishing others as much as I like writing, though. Maybe it's the former teacher in me, the love of helping others to reach their creative potential. I started an online lit mag with a friend, 100 Word Story (www.100wordstory.org), a while back, and I learn so much about writing from the submissions I read.
I believe that everyone is a writer—that we create our world through the stories we tell—so I now enthusiastically prod nearly everyone I meet to write a novel or a script and feel how life can be transformed through a daring creative act.
This is all to say I've found a wonderful home at NaNoWriMo. I love the sounds of boisterous, rollicking creativity!
- Primary Role:
- Making collages, taking photos, junk collecting, hot tubbing, tap dancing
- Favorite noveling music:
- Arvo Part, William Basinski, X, Sigur Ros, The xx, Coco Rosie, Perfume Genius, John Cage, Eric Satie, Chelsea Wolfe, Morton Feldman
- Executive Director of a Wildly Creative and Wondrous Organization
- Favorite books or authors:
- The Sheltering Sky, A Visit from the Goon Squad, Under the Volcano, Housekeeping, The Windup Girl, Tender Is the Night, Madame Bovary, Invisible Cities, Anna Karenina, Paul Bowles, Lydia Davis, Daniel Clowes, Doctor Seuss, Yasunari Kawabata, James Ellroy, Nathalie Sarraute, James Salter, Denis Johnson, Basho, Frank Portman, Jenny Offil, Paolo Bacigalupi, Zora Neale Hurston, Robert Stone, Malcolm Lowry, Dorothy Parker, Herman Hesse, Alice Munro, Raymond Chandler, Anne Sexton, Roland Barthes, Milan Kundera, Graham Greene, Jane Austen, Fyodor Dostoevsky, William Gibson, Ray Bradbury, Philip K. Dick, Dean Young, Anais Nin, Teju Cole, Tony Hoagland, Raymond Carver, John Ashberry, Langston Hughes, Heather Mackey