2014 Night of Writing Dangerously Write-a-thon
Early Bird Special! The first 50 attendees to reach their fundraising goals and RSVP will receive a special-edition, dangerously classy tumbler glass with two extra raffle tickets.
Welcome to the 2014 Night of Writing Dangerously!
Behind on your word count? Want a great excuse to come out to San Francisco? Need a mid-November extravaganza of food, drink, and lots and lots of noveling?
We’ve got an event for you: the eighth annual Night of Writing Dangerously Write-a-thon!
What: Six hours of writing, accompanied by dinner and drinks in a ballroom overlooking the twinkling lights of downtown San Francisco. If you want to see just how classy this event really is, you can check out photos from the 2013 event on our Facebook page.
When: Sunday, November 16, 2014, 4:00 to 11:00 p.m. Cocktail hour will be held in the bar from 4:00 to 5:00. The writing will begin when the ballroom opens at 5:00.
Where: The Julia Morgan Ballroom, Merchants Exchange Building, 15th Floor, San Francisco, California.
Theme: Noir. Costumes are not required, but they are encouraged!
How to Attend
2. Raise $275 by November 12. Time to phone Grandma and call in some favors at the office.
3. As soon as you’ve raised at least $275, fill out this RSVP form! If you raise $375 or more, you can bring a guest! Just RSVP with a “plus one” on your form. The first 50 people to RSVP will win a dangerously custom tumbler glass and two extra raffle tickets.
4. Keep in mind that the ballroom we’ve rented can only seat 225 folks, so we have to limit attendance to the first 225 people who RSVP.
Because we want to write with you! And feed you! And because proceeds from the evening make our programs possible, including the classroom-based Young Writers Program, which supports project-based learning and writing literacy. Last year, 380 dangerous writers raised over $63,000—money we’ve used for a myriad of awesome improvements to our events. Come show your support this year by helping us reach our $70,000 fundraising goal! The more money you raise, the more tickets you’ll get for our prize raffle. Plus, the top fundraisers will walk home with one of our grand prizes.
This year’s Grand Prizes include:
- An iPad courtesy of Storyist.
- A fantasy writer’s dream package hand selected by our friends at Castle in the Air.
What 2014 attendees get (in addition to an enchanted evening of noveling):
- A tote bag inspired by our sleek and dangerous 2014 poster design, filled with books and other treats from our sponsors.
- Coffee from Atlas Coffee!
- A life-altering amount of encouragement, inspiration, and writerly mojo courtesy of NaNoWriMo staff.
- A live performance from musical comedians and NaNo-enthusiasts Debs & Errol.
- Free drinks from our open bar including beer, wine, and specialty cocktails like the Noveltini and Cosmonovelton.
- A multitude of snacks, including a fully stocked candy buffet.
- A chance to get your author photo taken by professional photographer, Ken Goudey.
- And much more!
And everyone will have a chance to take home a basket of awesome prizes. You automatically get five raffle tickets upon entering, and will receive an additional ticket for every $50 raised above your initial $275. And yes, you are welcome to share your raffle tickets with your guest, if you end up bringing one.
This year, the baskets will included these awesome prizes:
- Writing kits and t-shirts from The Storymatic.
- A magical Harry Potter-themed gift basket from Whimsic Alley.
- Family pack of tickets to the deYoung or Legion of Honor, the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
- Two tickets to any show in the 2014-2015 season at the San Francisco Playhouse.
- Two tickets to the 2015 Repertory Season of the San Francisco Ballet.
- An amazing variety of books from City Lights Bookstore.
- Illustrated writing prompt sets from Writing Maps.
- Gift cards to Half Price Books.
- DIY Pro 6-Month Subscriptions to BookBuzzr.
- A wonderful variety of books from Borderlands Books.
- Family Fun Pack tickets to the attractions at Pier 39.
- Four tickets to the San Francisco Dungeon.
- Free movie tokens to the New Parkway Theater.
- A gift certificate to Mrs. Dalloway’s Bookstore.
- Free copies of Jordan Smith’s Finding the Core of Your Story.
- And more still to come!
More questions? Find answers to Write-a-thon FAQs here.
2014 Write-a-thon Sponsors
If you would like to become a sponsor of the 2014 Night of Writing Dangerously by providing grand prizes, raffle basket items, food, beer, wine, candy or gifts for our 225 tote bags , please contact us! In return, we will shower you with thanks, list you on this page for up to a year, and include your name on our event program.